[Rhodes22-list] Last sail?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Oct 24 08:31:42 EDT 2009

At 12:04 AM 10/24/2009, Lee wrote:
>I had the full main out and boom up when the wind increased
>from 10 to 13 knots.  Instead of reefing the main I lowered the boom.  I
>knew it would make an improvement but was surprised that the heel was
>reduced by 5 degrees and speed increased by .9 knots on a close reach.  I
>much prefer sailing with the poptop up but I may have to rethink that.
>
>Curious when other Rhodies typically lower their booms?

We generally lower the boom somewhere between 12 and 15. As you know,
we usually sail with the pop-top down. I suspect around 9 or 10
knots, you would have seen some reduction in heel and speed increase
just by lowering the pop-top. Not as dramatic as with lowering the
boom however. We usually reduce the jib first. Lower the boom second.
Then start reducing jib and main as the wind increases. The boat
would sail better if we reversed the first two steps but we have to
start watching for the boom when it's lowered so we usually delay
that if we  can.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD