[Rhodes22-list] Is it possible to make the R-22 into a cutter?

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Tue Sep 1 09:41:10 EDT 2009

I think Jim got it, because 175 comes back to the winches it hard to tell
when it blow out. ASSUMING it the original sail, at 14 years it history....
time for a new suit. I always like the 110 for high winds(taken them up to
30 knots, the hull flair acts up after that) and it sits on the inside leads
great. I would also get a 150-155, I always thought the 175 was a little too
big and was a PITA to sheet right.

In both case order up the luff pad and if you like the high winds sailing
get the low screech cloth upgrade(it not that much more), BTW I find you can
only reef about 15-20% even with the pad, reefing the 110 is as small as
needed before the boat is above it limits. so you really do need 2 sails (3
if you want the cursing spinnaker, the 6 oz is just to heavy on light days)
to play in all wind conditions.

-mjm