[Rhodes22-list] How to honor the process -- if you find a used 22

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 23:35:01 EDT 2009

Rich;

I have no idea how you should deal with "the process" of which you speak,
but I do have some advice.

Do not buy a used boat off the internet without factoring in a serious
inspection or "survey" by someone you have good reason to trust, and to whom
you can look to be responsible in the event things are not as represented
(unless you are VERY good with tools and will be just as happy working on
the thing as you will be sailing her).

I came back to sailing after many years and am interested in hassle free
(pipe dream I know) sailing; tinkering???....not so much. So I bought a
recycled Rhodes directly from Stan last summer with the GB new boat
warranty, and the peace of mind alone is worth any price difference. In the
current economy I just can't imagine your not being able to get a great deal
right from THE MAN (and nobody at my marina believes the boat is not new).

The only problem I have had (aside from a political donnybrook or two on
this list, see 2008 election references infra) was a stalling outboard that
turned out to be the result of my forgetting to open the gas tank vent
(which problem was solved by Art C on this very list).

You will buy a boat only when you are ready. I can tell you my only regret
is having waited as long as I did to get my Rhodes.

I do hereby certify that I have received and expect no financial benefit
from Stan, Rose, Elton, General Boats, The UJA Federation, or any other
person or entity in exchange for this endorsement, except I will note that I
do enjoy a Seagrams VO and soda from time to time (knowing Stan he'll send
the soda).

Smooth Sailing;

BenCittadino
SV Susan Kay ('93, recycled '08)