[Rhodes22-list] Out and about this weekend - Chesapeake

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Sep 10 16:03:59 EDT 2009

Lee,
We are snugged in quite nicely here at Knapps Narrows. We are really
hoping that the winds die down enough tomorrow so that we can be on
our way. Fortunately once the winds die down, the waves die down
quickly as well.

Here's the latest marine forecast:
Late Afternoon: NE wind around 20 kt, with gusts as high as 31 kt.
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Waves around 4 ft.

Tonight: NNE wind around 23 kt, with gusts as high as 36 kt. Showers
and possibly a thunderstorm. Waves around 5 ft.

Friday: N wind 16 to 21 kt becoming WNW 9 to 12 kt in the morning.
Showers likely, mainly before noon. Waves 2 to 3 ft.

I actually have never seen the bay with 5 ft waves. No desire to see
it from the cockpit of a Rhodes 22. Note that the Friday 16 to 21
knots is actually Friday before the morning when the waves are
supposed to die down. If it's still icky in the morning we may go as
far as Tilghman Cr. on Friday afternoon and back to Rock Hall on Sat.
In either case I think we'll stay out of the Bay proper and head up
Poplar Island Channel and up Eastern Bay and through Kent Narrows to home.

It's actually been a nice cruise with some good sailing. Spent a
pleasant evening with Rory & Yvonne Orkin eating some very good
appetizers at the restaurant next door. Rory also took us out to his
place so we could see Duet II on her lift (what a beautiful windy
spot) and opened the doors for us so we could see the Tilghman Island
Waterman's Museum - very very nice. Thanks Rory!.

Tilghman is sort of like Rock Hall in some ways and very different in
others. Biggest difference I think is that there is even a stronger
presence of the old Eastern Shore. It's there in Rock Hall but the
links to the past seem a bit more tenuous.

On the other hand, there's a good Internet connection here so I'm
actually getting some work done while we watch the weather forecasts.

Mary Lou