[Rhodes22-list] Treasure Island - part three

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Fri Sep 11 23:59:14 EDT 2009

We tossed off the dock lines,cracked the whip and got all 6 Nissanian
horses into a mellow trot thru the no wake zone. Thomas shouts "go faster
grandpa" .To which I explain about the no wake zone,how the wake will
erode the shore and make the boats bang around in their slips. Thomas said
"ok, go faster grandpa".It's becomming apparent that this boy has been to
the Dark Side.We get down the channel and thru the cut to the main lake
and I head straight for the island,which is hard to see because it's close
to the far shore and the trees on the island blend in with the trees on
the shore.I explain to the boys that an island is a spit of land that has
water all the way around it.After two laps around the island,Caeden points
at it and says "is that it grandpa?".
"Good job,Caeden,now we need to find the beach that is on the map." gramps
said.Two more laps with gramps saying "do you see anything that looks like
a beach" when it came into view. Caeden is starting to get discouraged and
finally says "grandpa,I don't see any thing that looks like Myrtle Beach.
Thru his eyes ,he was right. The beach we were looking for was about 20
feet wide and three feet deep,not quite up to Myrtle's standards. Since we
still had half a tank of gas,and a couple hours of daylight left,we kept
circling in a holding pattern while I went on to explain that beaches
could be small,and not only have sand,but maybe some gravel and maybe a
few fallen down trees and maybe a big rock on the left hand side,with a
sign above it that says- Harry's duck blind - .THERE,Caeden shouted,which
roused Thomas from the cabin,where he had long since busied himself with
switch ,knob and stowage issues.We backed up within 10 feet of the
beach,threw out the hook,and dropped the gang plank(swim ladder).The boys
were ready to pillage and plunder,but weren't real sure about how deep
that water was,at the end of the gang plank.Turned out to be knee deep,to
a two year old. The map was readied, the diggers were hoisted,it's off to
Treasure Island.
Pics, Treasure Island,Let the pillage begin,Into the murky depths