[Rhodes22-list] Wingnuts (not political)

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Sep 12 17:02:25 EDT 2009

Rick,

I think that you are referring to a "lock washer" (a spring loaded washer
with a section cut out.)   This is still not a good solution for the mast
bolt since the load on the mast is constantly changing and the lock washer
is not designed to hold with movement, vibration or load changes.  It is
used to prevent nut rotation in systems in which the materials being
fastened together are non compressible such as hardened steel, where the
lock washer provides the "spring" to maintain a load on the nut to prevent
loosening (overtightening without the lock washer could result in bolt
fracture.)

A season (or even several) of a tight wing nut does not mean that it is the
proper solution.  A self locking nut is the correct solution due to the
vibration and loading of the mast.  They are very inexpensive and can be
purchased in a hardware store or Home Depot.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Rick"  Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:29 AM