[Rhodes22-list] Saga of the Annapolis trip

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 28 13:12:14 EDT 2009

Lee,

Well, here's a so sad story...

I began my trip to the area and the show on Friday.  About 20 miles out, as is my custom, I checked bearings and brakes of the trailer, only to find them hot as a poker with copious amounts of bearing grease slung on the tires, like on both sides.  Like, not a happy boater to be found.

Chapter two - the setting is downtown Pendleton SC, with only one horse and a boat with wounded trailer...

I talked with the local mechanic who seemed very happy with my sad story.  Do not think he can cut it.

I called BoatUS, where I have been a rather motley member since 2003, and they told me the trailer-assist fee I have been paying for road mishaps just hit the jackpot, and that I will be covered for a piggy-back to the barn at Hartwell.  I did have to stew for three hours on the square in the bright sun, but was loaded on a 53' lowboy backwards, humiliating but practical, and got the boat in the barn safely.

Chapter three - this September morning at Hartwell is a light rain, but I'm inside the covered barn.  After taking the trailer wheels apart with my swiss army knife (16 tools total), I discovered that rotors were grooved, shoes mostly worn, calipers mis-shapened, and caliper pistons corroded.  Still not a happy boater.

Chapter four - on to Annapolis, but not the show or the notorious Friday skipper's lunch.  This is the greatest loss - missing Mary Lou's dance...

What did I learn from this happening that would be helpful to others -

1. Thankfully I did my bearing check before it was too late.

2.  I decided to call BoatUS assist - Unlimited is $500 coverage on the road.  I think this extent is due to my unlimited towing coverage on the water - well worth the cost if you consider costs of towing.  Much better than the risk of additional damage possible if I had tried to go without the BoatUS lift.

3.  Diagnosis of the problem (which occurred after only ~2000 miles usage) was greasy but not that difficult with the right tools.  I learned enough to determine the best and most cost-effective solution and resolution.

4.  I found the real source of the problem was that I was wearing the same Gucci loafers I wore at Annapolis '06 when Stan's trailer took a swim in Spa Creek.

So I hope to see you, if possible, at Kent Narrows either this coming Sunday or Monday for a brew at a local McD, maybe even with Mary Lou and Fred, if they are around.  Likely to be with Allison, for sure, but sans boat.  We might even game for a tack or two on the Bay.

I will bring towels along if this sad story has affected you as it did me...

Anonymous