[Rhodes22-list] Storage on old Rhodes

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Thu Apr 1 11:26:36 EDT 2010

Here's an issue I haven't seen on the list before.

Last weekend, I was doing some routine cleaning and maintenance in
preparation for our annual easter weekend overnight trip.  All was going
fine, until I saw a female mallard hop aboard.  While it amused me for a
second, I figured out what was up as soon as she disappeared.

Under the starboard seats, she sat in the middle of my coiled anchor rode on
somewhere between 6 and 10 eggs.  I stuck my face down there, and we sat
looking at each other, eye to eye, and inches away.  She let me take some
pics.  Here's one --

http://theskinnyonbenny.com/img/duck.jpg

I'm afraid that if I sail, she'll fly off, and then she won't know where to
find her nest.  I'm thinking of trying to move the nest (and the crumbling
Rubbermaid that it's in) onto the dock.  I've got a giant spatula that I use
to flip crumbly fish on the grill.  Maybe I'll put it in a sideways box or
something.  I figure she's stupid enough not to know the difference, and I
don't think that it will be found by a neighborhood cat or nutria if I leave
it pretty close to where the boat is tied.

Anyone have different suggestions?  (Other than making her into a gumbo)

Ben S.
Velvet Elvis