[Rhodes22-list] Storage on old Rhodes

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Apr 1 13:36:33 EDT 2010

Hi Ben,
Guess you just haven't been around long enough although our issue was
(fortunately) not exactly the same. I believe I wrote it up for the
list at the time, but this is what I wrote a couple of years ago:

"When we moved Fretless to the Eastern Shore 6 or 7 years ago, it was
the first time we had kept the boat in a slip. We had made the
commitment and were determined to get a lot of use out of the boat.
We got her all settled in the slip one weekend and went away for the
week. We came back the next weekend, planning to spend the weekend on
the boat. We schlepped our stuff down the dock and stowed it all
away, went off to have dinner at a restaurant in town, came back and
sat out in the cockpit for a while.

Some time later, we put up the poptop enclosure, made up the berth in
the cabin and turned in. I heard noises like someone walking on deck.
I told myself I was imagining things. I heard more noises. I nudged
Fred awake (he's next to the companionway). He didn't hear anything
(he's somewhat deaf). He looked out and didn't see anything. I went
back to sleep. I heard the noise again. And again. I nudged Fred
awake. This time he was nice enough to get up and take a look around.
He didn't see anything. We went back to bed and to sleep.

The next morning I fixed a nice breakfast and we are sitting in the
cockpit with our orange juice and our mugs of tea sitting on the
cockpit table. We heard a scrambling sound from the area of the
lazarette. We looked at each other. We turned the table so that Fred
can get to the lazarette. He cautiously opened the lid and let it
fall right back down. "There's a duck in there!" "A duck?" "A duck!"
We finished our breakfast contemplating how to get a duck out of the lazarette.

We cleaned up breakfast and looked in the lazarette. The duck was in
amongst various lines, pfds and the anchor looking rather frightened.
We decided to leave the lid of the lazarette propped open to see if
the duck would leave on its own. We propped the lid and left.

We came back to the boat and the duck was gone having left us a duck
egg as a present. No nest or crud, just the egg. Then we started to
try to figure out how the duck got into the lazarette and we made a
discovery about the boat that we had owned for 3 years. The underside
of gunnels are open to the lazarette. Somehow the duck had figured
out how to go under the bench seats and up under the gunnels into the
lazarrette.

Having figured out how the duck got into the lazarrette, we had to
figure out how to keep the duck out of the lazarrette. Off we went to
the hardware store to buy some screening and some ...(drum roll
please) ..... duck tape.  Taped the screening over the openings and
ended our duck problem. Can't say what happened to the egg."

BTW, no ducks since though the tape and screening are long gone.

Best of luck with your duck.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD