[Rhodes22-list] FW: Old boat space ideas

Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sat Apr 3 10:56:52 EDT 2010

Hey Mary Lou,
		I was able to practice on my first Rhodes ('76) when I
bought it new and now with the current ('83) I don't have to make quite so
many mistakes.  There is a plethora of storage space for food between the
foam flotation and the aft lower bulkhead at the end of the cushions in the
V-berth.  I have hinged each piece of plywood underlayment under the
cushions so I just need to move the cushions and lift up a roughly 2 foot by
18 inch piece of plywood.  Organizing things in the plastic storage boxes
helps. The extra weight isn't too much of a concern as I like to think it
lengthens the water line for a higher potential hull speed; and I'm sticking
to that theory.  On long passages over a week we also use nesting plastic
"under bed" plastic storage bins for food and keep them V-berth. On really
long passages of several weeks or more  (Bahamas and Mexico) we had a couple
of bins in the cockpit for food.  We tend to not take much of anything that
would go bad if not refrigerated. If we find Ice we buy some meats etc.
locally.  Cold beverages are nice but on extended trips we stick to Red
wine.  My bilge is always dry so a couple of Tupperware containers stowed
down there keep the cheeses from getting too fuzzy.  I think my wife Alice
has our food list if you are interested sometime.

Chris Geankoplis