[Rhodes22-list] Back stay at mast connection

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Tue Apr 6 22:18:52 EDT 2010

Oh Yeah?
If there are 2 separate chain plates for each transom end of the big long single wire loops at secured at the masthead as a loop for greater strength, they seem to function as a double stay. Let's ask Stan why he did it this way on our earlier Rhodes' - ours is an '83 bought new. I think the Catilina and O'Day 22s only have 1 back stay; the Tanzers may have 2 though.
Our sailing specialty marina owner was amazed that a production 22 would have a total of 9 stays, counting the jib tube. Said compared to the others, the Rhodes was like a DC-3 aircraft - overbuilt for strength and lasting "forever." Kudos to Stan.
Thanks for the picture.
Alan & Barbara(the bosun-rigger) Robertson