[Rhodes22-list] Mast Raising Party

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Apr 12 10:13:47 EDT 2010

Chris,
I see your wiring diagram skills have improved!  Very nice.  While looking at mast wiring, I've had some luck checking things at the plug and socket connection with a multi-meter.  I agree, only three of the wires are used.  A common and two hot leads, one for the mast head light and one for the anchor light.  At least verify you have power there before fooling with your mast.  Perhaps a diagram of your findings is in order??  If you have power at the connector, perhaps a cleaning of the contacts may help.  I've found some fine grained sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit is a good way to clean out the socket connectors (followed by a blast of air to blow out the dust).  Fined grained sandpaper works well to clean the plug part of the connector too.

For testing the mast lighting with the mast down, I've had good luck with a 9 volt battery and some wires with alligator clips on both ends.  If you're careful, you can clips the wires to the battery and the appropriate prongs on the plug part of the connector and then check out the appropriate light to verify it's working.  If the light is not working, a multi-meter can be used to verify the wiring to the light is in order or can be used to verify the element of the light itself is intact.

You say only one hot wire shows current (actually voltage).  If you're not getting voltage at the connector (or where ever you're checking for that matter), it's not going to be a lamp issue.  Having a bad lamp will not affect the voltage.  Having a bad fuse or wire or connection will.  Good luck! - rob