[Rhodes22-list] Sunday's Sail on the Chesapeake

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Apr 12 11:43:09 EDT 2010

Chris,

Below is something I posted back in September of 2007.  I'm sure I could duplicate the set-up in the same conditions and not be able to point as high, but it certainly worked back then.

Looks like one thing that might help would be to run your Genoa sheets across the top of the cabin instead of the side of the cabin.  My Genoa could not have been pulled any tighter, and my main was as tight as possible with the traveler centered (would have made sense to bring the traveler slightly to windward).

I think I was more surprised at the speed than degrees to the wind.  I normally don't go too fast when I try to push her much into the wind.

Lee

Jack,

I stand corrected.  I actually can point that high.  And I'm not that good of a sailor.

Went sailing this afternoon.  True wind was exactly 12 knots from the south just before I put the sails up and exactly 12 knots from the south just after I furled them in.  Apparent wind fluctuated between 10 and 15 knots.
Small craft advisory due to the chop, which was about 3 feet in most areas.

Boom down.  Full main.  Genoa sheets ran across the cabin top which brought the tip of the clew to the forward shrouds (about 85% reefed).  Board down.
Traveler centered but pulled so tight the end of the boom was less than 12"
from the traveler.

Port tack on a close reach at 240 degrees with a 10 to 15 degree heel going about 3.5 to 4 knots with the tiller locked at about 3 degrees to the leeward side.  Starboard tack at on a close reach at 150 degrees with a 15 to 20 degree heel (stupid 130 lb. outboard) going about 3.5 to 4 knots with the tiller locked at about 3 degrees to the leeward side.  240 minus 150 equals 90 divided by 2 would be 45 degrees into the wind, but that was on a close reach, not on a beat, close-hauled.  I easily got another 5 degrees without luffing the sails on a beat.

Considering the amount of wind and chop, I think the Rhodes22 will point better than 40 degrees with a little less wind and a lot less chop.

One other minor factor.  I was single-handling so I only had 180 lbs. of human ballast.  Okay, maybe 190 lbs., but I was standing most of the time as opposed to sitting or hiking-out.

We really do have a well-designed sailboat.

Lee