[Rhodes22-list] Fair Price

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Apr 15 17:11:43 EDT 2010

Eric,
As an owner of a '76, and knowing what I paid for it and what condition my boat/motor/trailer was in, I think it's a fair price.  But as Art mentions, it really depends on the condition of the boat, and the trailer, and the motor.  The boat I bought ended up with a bad motor.  The replacement one I bought off eBay was bad.  A brand spanking new one set me back $1500.  So I've spent almost $2000 in motors.  My trailer works fine, but it very worn.  I replaced the bunks last year.  The PO (previous owner) replaced the bearings.  If the trailer has a tongue extension that pulls from the center, make sure it's not rusted solid.  Mine has the extension that bolts to the frame.  My boat has a few spider cracks, but overall is solid.  PO put new bottom paint on, and it's time to redo that.  I believe it is Lou who can testify to the trials of rebuilding the centerboard.  Ports leak and should be checked.  So a lot of unknowns.  I just looked at a couple of used boats and passed on both of them, just because I know what I'm looking at now.  So, I agree with Art, someone to help you look would be helpful.

That all being said, $2K to get on the water in a Rhodes is a good deal! - rob