[Rhodes22-list] Moving on

sail tds.net sail at tds.net
Fri Apr 16 07:59:29 EDT 2010

Mary Lou,

Short poling is a term I learned From Bruce Bingham the designer of the
Flicka as well as many other boats as well as an accomplished racer. He
belongs to our club and I have the opportunity to share with him on a
regular basis.  I've used my whisker pole in the past when on a broad reach
or on a run.  I've learned to use it now on a close reach as well as on a
beam reach.  The natural tendency of the heads'l is to turn in to the mast
creating a cup in the clew .  Using the adjustable whisker pole to remove
the cup in the clew gives you a better sail shape and really increases
speed.  I'm using a 130 heads'l and this may not work with the 175 fully
extended. I find with the 130 I do not reef at all.

Reef early,

>>ron,,
S/V Good Idea
Gulfport, FL

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Mary Lou Troy <mtroy at atlanticbb.net> wrote:

> Ron,
> "Short pole"? Not a term I'm familiar with. What does it mean.
>
> Plans not firm for next year but spring training is again a
> possibility. It would be fun.
>
> Mary Lou
>

> At 01:14 PM 4/13/2010, you wrote:
> >Mary Lou,
> >
> >Thanks for your good wishes.  Good Idea is back in the HOH and between
> >learning to sail her I've been doing some basic maintenance and realizing
> >how much bigger 5' can actually be.  Right now my decision is whether to
> go
> >with a stack pack or the Dutchman system when I replace the mainsail.  I'm
> >leaning to the Dutchman so I can still have a loose footed main.Ov er the
> >weekend I learned how to short pole and what a difference doing this can
> >mean.  we actually gained a knot + on the same tack.  I wish I new this
> when
> >I owned the Rhodes. Next year we would like to join you and Fred at a
> spring
> >training game.
> >
> >Fair winds,

> >On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Mary Lou Troy <mtroy at atlanticbb.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Congrats Ron on a very speedy sale. I'm with Lee - I hope you stick
> > > around. You have good experience to share, you are still sailing a
> > > small boat and a mighty fine looking one at that. Is Good Idea back
> > > in the water yet?
> > >
> > > Best to you and Linda,
> > > Mary Lou

> owner