[Rhodes22-list] Engine size

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Mon Apr 19 19:35:34 EDT 2010

Dear Tom,
I would not recommend anything less than a 7.5 hp.  Originally I had a Evinrude regular shaft 6 and it was inadequate when bucking headwinds or waves, and did not get the Rhodes quite up to maximum displacement hull speed (sq. root of the waterline, a little over -20ft. X 1.25 = speed in knots). So, in '85 we went to electric start long shaft 9.9  Johnsons (they don't make that size anymore). Rebuilts with dealer warranty OK
It has never cavitated under extreme bow waves or following seas.
With new motor ignition set up, you really don't need the electric start which adds weight and cost, unless, it comes with an alternator which you need for charging battery for lights and appliances OR like me you have arthritic shoulders and wife or other first mate can't pull cord hard enough to start manually.

Read the Rhodes 22 archives about past starting and conking out troubles with the Yamaha 7.5. Probably OK now.
THOR IV   Lake George NY
  ----- Original Message ----- ess