[Rhodes22-list] UPS Sail for Rhodes 22

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sat Apr 24 12:45:22 EDT 2010

I just got a new UPS sail from Doyle for my boat.  I have used it only
one time, but I was quite pleased with the results as I would have
been motoring instead of sailing in the light wind conditions.

There is a good discussion of the UPS for the Rhodes on rhodes22.org .
 However, that information needs to be updated.  So here it goes:

The new kit price is $ 1075.00 which is $ 100.00 more then the order
form states.

The kit includes:

UPS sail for the Rhodes 22 in customer chosen colors.
Harken furling kit # 3029 which includes the furler and top swivel.
Sheet line and furling line cut in the appropriate lengths.

All these items are great and exactly what you need.  The kit also
includes a halyard restrainer which in reality is merely a pad-eye and
a couple of pop rivets.  The deck-eye is just a plain old eye-bolt.  I
was expecting something different in regards to these two items and
had the discussion with Doyle in NY about them.  Doyle tells me that
other Rhodes sailors are using these two items quite successfully, so
to each his own I guess.  The pad-eye will work, but it is not a
formal halyard restrainer and I ordered Harken # 944 ($45.00) to use
instead because it has a roller sheave.  And do we really have Rhodes
owners mounting eye-bolts with no plates on their decks?  Good luck on
that.  I have ordered something different with a top and backing
plate.

In addition, I added a snap-shackle to the bottom of the furler unit
so that it can be easily disconnected from the deck and a U shaped
shackle to the top of the furler to connect it to the tack of the
sail.  The provided top swivel mounts directly to the head of the
sail, so nothing additional needed there.  I already discussed the
halyard restrainer and with the IMF, I had a spare halyard available,
so I didn't have to add one.  Lastly, I replaced all the cotter pins
on the furling units with cotter rings hoping to prevent torn sails if
they get together in the sail bag.

Doyle in NY is good to work with and they always respond in a timely
manner.  I think the sail is actually cut in Florida and Doyle Florida
forgot to ship the hardware with the sail, so there was a delay
getting it up and going.

Once I get everything installed, I will take some pictures and send
them to Rhodes22.org or post them here.  In the meantime, if anyone
has any questions so far, feel free to ask.

David