[Rhodes22-list] UPS Sail for Rhodes 22

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Mon Apr 26 13:37:40 EDT 2010

Joe:

I recently decided that the 175% was a little too large for my
conditions which are no rail meat and lots of beating into moderate or
greater winds.  I purchased a new 135% genoa from Stan which I have
not installed yet and decided to combine it with the UPS sail for
lighter wind conditions.

The UPS sail has a luff line built into it and the belly of the sail
is cut much higher then a normal jib.  I guess you could install it on
a normal furler but I don't think it would make a good permanent jib
sail.  This type of sail is not designed to be partially furled-it's
either all in or all out.  It should not be flown inside the shrouds
either because of the large belly which will not furl properly.  My
experiments with it so far show that I loose at least 5 degrees of
pointing ability maybe a little more when going upwind.  However, when
the winds are too light to use a jib it is a good trade off.

Also, Doyle says the max wind speed close hauled is 8 kts.  With that
high belly there is going to be a lot of heeling moment close hauled
if the wind picks up.  Last but not least, one of the limitations of
the 175% is that it is real heavy with all the Sunbrella sewn on it.
The UPS has no Sunbrella or other sun protection and the sun is going
to eat it up.  You would have to have a sleeve to deploy over it if
permanently mounted.

I would say that it is much better to keep a standard jib or genoa
installed on our boats and to use the UPS when conditions warrant much
like you would an asymmetrical or standard spinnaker sail as an add-on
to your inventory.

Please Note:  I am not saying the 175% is not a good sail for the
boat.  The places and way that most people sail the Rhodes 22, it is
probably the best choice.  However, in my particular situation and
conditions a smaller jib is better since the 175% stays rolled in
90+ % of the time.  When the wind drops in my area then it is usually
too light to fly the 175% and up until now, I was having to deploy the
"no wind" sail made by Honda.  Not anymore with the new UPS.