[Rhodes22-list] UPS Sail for Rhodes 22

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Mon Apr 26 14:16:34 EDT 2010

We have a lot of discussions about sails.  I went with a 135 so I can
fully fly it inside the shrouds to improve pointing since I spend a
lot of time beating into pretty good winds.  If I had someone on board
who could sit on the rail, I would have gone for a 150% too.

Still, if you sail on bays or wide lakes the 175% makes a lot of sense
especially if you have the luxury of reaching .  I sailed it for a few
years and just thought I was incompetent with it until everyone I
sailed with or against pointed out how they enjoyed seeing my keel and
centerboard exposed all the time as they were passing me.  Time and
again the more experienced would say you need to keep that boat on its
feet and the boat is overpowered with that big sail out and just you
on board.  To be fair, my 175 is quite old and blown out which doesn't
help and probably part of the problem.  Anyway, so I kept it furled
and the boat on its feet, but with that big roll on the forestay,
pointing suffered and where I sail you need to point.  I look forward
to trying out the 135% once I can pull the boat and change it.

David