[Rhodes22-list] rudder construction and repair

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Tue Apr 27 11:41:36 EDT 2010

Anybody familiar with the construction details of the Rhodes rudder?
The reason I ask is that ours appears to have some cracks along the
leading and trailing edges that allow water absorption.  After the
rudder has been in the water for a day, there is discoloration in
certain areas and once the rudder has been out of the water these
localized areas change color until several days later when dry again.
Sorry I don't have pictures at the moment.  Now that I have the rudder
off the boat and look at it in good light, I can see the cracks in the
edges.  They are about 4 inches long.  I will need to sand down these
areas to see what's going on.  Question is, what's the best repair,
which is why I'm asking about the construction of the thing.  I can see
some fiberglass where the antifouling is worn off.  Will sanding down
and filling cracks with epoxy be the correct thing?  I've thrown this
out to the group as I understand Stan was having difficulties with
comcast emails.
Joe
Harmony, recycled 2008