[Rhodes22-list] Thanks for the warm welcomes

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 27 18:26:09 EDT 2010

Geoff,

I'll chime in just to ask a few questions.  Much of your decision will rest on how you will use the boat over the next ten+ years.  Focus on basics, then expand further.  Some of our skippers use the boat strictly for day sailing, where interior room is not as key a consideration.  Both of your alternative boats are very cozy inside, not such a problem with this sailor.  Lee is mostly a day sailor I believe.  In this day-sailing mode the R22 can probably sail more comfortably with more crew due to a much larger cockpit.  A stop for a meal underway will be more accomodating on the Rhodes because the galley area with refer, sink, etc.  is more suited to its purpose.  Preparing a meal, hot or cold, will be done with ease and with standing headroom to boot.  Just pop the top, easily done.  This may be more the norm in Wisconsin, although we have some weekend cruisers on the Great Lakes, too.

Now change your hat, a cool shirt and cruise into Mobile, maybe Fairhope put the pop-top up, cook a nice meal, and plan to bunk for the night after your sail on the Bay.  A comfortable time underway to the offshore forts and back.  You can enjoy a bottle of fine wine, Thunderbird an excellent choice, without tripping over the cooler because it is in the icebox instead.  Put your top of choice up just in case you have midnight showers.  The ample sink is perfect for food prep.  You will rest comfortable, either v-berth or the convertable because of the size of the cabin, especially with pop-top up.  This is the cruising mode.  Mary Lou and Fred in Rock Hall, just north of Lee, enjoy more time on the boat, so ask them about exploring the Chesapeake on their boat.

I myself have voted for the Rhodes for both day-sailing and cruising, which we do.  I would not consider the alternatives a better choice for us.  Just starting out, try to determine what your boating preferences are, remembering that your use of any boat will change and expand as you have more experience and confidence.

We'll look forward to meeting up with you all somewhere along the Miracle Strip, one of the areas I love to sail.  Maybe this perspective can help you with step 1, choosing the boat!  It will be simple.

Art
s/v Mary Jane
Atlanta/Boca Ciega/P City