[Rhodes22-list] Thanks for the warm welcomes

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Tue Apr 27 19:00:21 EDT 2010

Geoff,

 I started out on a Com=pac 16,and can say that when I owned it 6 years
ago they had great custormer service and very good prices on their parts.
I've never been on anything in their current line of boats,but they seem
to build a nice boat.If you are always going to trailer,and get the
mastender system,it will have you on the water quicker than setting up
the Rhodes.I don't know anything about the P-21,but I think you will do a
disservice to yourself if you don't sail the R-22 before you buy
anything. After sailing a R-22 for 5 years,I rented a Catalina-22 for a
couple days in Key Largo this March.I couldn't believe how spoiled The
Rhodes has made me.I'd  forgotten what a PITA hanking on the head
sail,uncovering the main sail,messing with halyards,winching down the
centerboard,and something I'd never heard before-centerboard HUM.The only
time you hear a Rhodes centerboard is when you use it for a depth guage.
 There are so many great things about a Rhodes it would take me all night
to type them out.She heaves-to great,you can even control the speed and
the direction to an extent,by reefing the main and jib.Every sailer that
I've handed the tiller to has remarked about how well it sails.I like to
get her on a tack and slap the hiking stick into the tiller lock and walk
into the cabin with the pop-top up an take in the view with the boat
sailing herself.
 I have to stop typing now and watch the Cavs kick some butt. I will leave
you with one l
ast thought- The owner of a Rhodes-22 never goes down with his boat,he
just sits on whatever the flotation is holding above the water and waits
for help to come!

Welcome to da list,

Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes '86