[Rhodes22-list] Thanks for the warm welcomes

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Apr 28 00:45:29 EDT 2010

HI Geoff,

You are looking at 3 very different boats. We've been aboard both the
Eclipse at boat shows and the P21. We used to have a Com-Pac 16. The
Eclipse is basically Com-Pac's replacement for the Com-Pac 19. It's a
bit bigger and has a centerboard. It's a lot smaller than a Rhodes
22. It would be a good daysailer and not a bad overnighter but it has
only sitting headroom in the cabin. I'm still a member of the Com-pac
email list (a yahoo group) and while people occasionally ask about
them, no one there seems to own one. Same deal on the Trailer Sailor
Bulletin Board
(http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi). If the
Eclipse is like the other Hutchins' boats it is very sturdily built
and the Mast-tendr system would be great if you are going to trailer
and daysail. The P21 is a faster boat but is similar to the Eclipse
in size. It is more lightly built but they are still quality boats.
If you buy a Precision, put latches on the cockpit lockers. We've
known of several Precisions sunk or partially sunk after a knockdown
through downflooding through the cockpit locker which opens directly
into the boat. As someone else mentioned, the P23 is closer to the
R22 in size. Both the Com-Pac and the P21 would be easier to trailer
and set up than the Rhodes but the Rhodes is much more like a small
cruiser than the other two. The standing headroom with the pop-top up
and the full galley with ample storage and built in icebox put it in
another class entirely. The R22 is the only one with positive
flotation. If you are conscientious and put your hatchboard in during
rough weather and lock your lockers, that may not matter too much but
it is a nice feature to have.

When we were looking for a replacement for the 16 we were looking for
a boat for weekend cruising and that would do well in the light air
of the Chesapeake. We also wanted a boat we would be confident could
handle rough weather if we were caught out by a summer thunderstorm.
The R22 won hands down. Seems to me you need to assess your uses and
set your priorities.

Best of luck,
Mary Lou