[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising land or water

Mike Cheung hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 10:50:13 EDT 2010

Thanks Joe,

It really has worked out well for us.  I, too, didn't relish handling the
mast crane all the time and this reduces my handling of it considerably.  We
do usually pull it off even for day sailing once we're rigged, but it stays
on the boat between sailing trips.  I secure the handle to the crane post so
it doesn't contact the deck, put a canvas bag over the end of the crane
covering the handle and the winch, and secure the winch end to the bow
cleat.  It's worked great except the canvas we used wasn't very sun
resistant and the bag needs replaced after one season and one winter.

Mike

Joe Babb wrote:

> Hey Mike,
> I like your idea of leaving the mast winch in place for traveling.  I'll
> have to try that.  I'm not trying to get under an hour for rigging, but
> getting the winch out of the truck, putting it on, taking it off,
> putting it back in the truck is not efficient at all.
> Thanks,
> Joe

-----
Mike Cheung