[Rhodes22-list] WTF - PDQ

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 21:51:21 EDT 2010

OK: Let me remedy the no posts illness.

I am now (officially) a retired cop.  I have now left my (old) home in suburban
Philadelphia and have settled (if that's what you'd call it) in Hot-as-Hell-High
Point, NC.  Last Thursday, my daughter and I drove the nearly two hours to John
Kerr lake in northern NC to take possession (if that's what you'd call it) of my
recycled '87 Rhodes.  It was one of the worst days of the last two decades
(maybe three) for me; and that's a graceful description.

By the time Elton arrived with the boat (which, by the way, surpassed every
expectation) the temp was well into the nineties.  We began rigging in a shady
spot, which soon became a sunny spot.  Elton was a real trooper: twenty-three
years my senior, and the guy would not quit.  We must have sweat a couple of
quarts an hour.  I had low blood sugar incident as well as a return of an old
heat stroke episode that's plagued me for twenty years.  So, I was obliged to
take several breaks in the car A/C.  Late in the afternoon, we backed her into
the water (bottomed-out on what I hope was the trailer) and In my haste, I
pulled the motor chord...w/o adding oil.

A kindly woman and her young son towed me the several hundred yards to my slip,
where (still suffering from the effects of the heat) I made a poor attempt to
tie up my proud new possession.  It was the biggest collection of granny knots
since my first attempt at the Boy Scouts "Knot-tying" merit badge (which I never
actually earned).  My daughter drove home, and after 30 minutes in constant A/C,
with a gallon of water in my depleted system, I was almost human again.

Well, a week has passed.  The marina mechanics fixed the O/B.  And tomorrow, I
will return to the marina to un-screw my unworthy efforts, and maybe take the
boat out of the marina for a short sail.
I may report (favorably) on the matter soon.

There ya go folks: a post

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson