[Rhodes22-list] Advice on re-routing genoa sheets ??

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Aug 10 16:15:01 EDT 2010

Chris,

The PHRF on our boats is 258 compared to the Catalina 22 with a rating of 270.  Your Rhodes is a faster boat but in this race it looks like it had a much better captain too--congrats!

"Anything other than the outer position looses a couple of knots of speed."

I agree but not because of the position of the sheets.  I believe you can go faster because you can have more sail out and/or your point-of-sail is more off the wind.  I think our boats point pretty well but they don't have enough weight underwater to provide a lot of opposing pressure to the sails.  Boats with deep, heavy keels and big sail plans seem to sail faster into the wind.  Our light boats with little wetted surface do better on a broad reach or run.

I'm just guessing so if I'm wrong hopefully someone will speak up.

Lee