[Rhodes22-list] Demasting

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sun Aug 15 18:57:13 EDT 2010

Bill:

Very sorry to hear of the incident but very glad to hear that no one was
injured.  I have forgotten what year model you have and how it is setup.  If
the forestay mast pin had dislodged and the forestay failed with the kind of
wind force you described, I can see that a weakened chain plate could
possibly fail also when it takes on that huge transient load.  I would have
thought that the other stays would have at least kept the mast intact.  I
don't know of any way to inspect the chain plates on the Rhodes without
pulling the windows out and then I am not sure what you can see.  Next trip
to the boat, I am going to pull the fore-peak anchor line box and have a
look at my forestay chain-plate anyway.  It may be different then yours
because it doesn't come through a "hole in the deck" that you describe.  It
is mounted as a tab externally.  I have the forestay pin wrapped in sailing
tape so that the cotter can't be removed/dislodged because I have seen that
happen before and then the force on the pin is the only thing keeping it in.

In aircraft, we have inspection covers in strategic locations to check
important components.  This incident makes me wonder whether or not older
boats (of any make) should have the chain-plates looked at.  I had been
holding off doing so because I don't want to pull out a perfectly good
window that isn't leaking just to check.  Maybe some inspection plates can
be cut in the liner to do the same thing and then be trimmed off to look
nice.  Or maybe we are just asking too much of the cabin top stays in this
situation.  Hard to know.  Anyway, pictures would be very much appreciated
as would Stan's take on this incident.

Sincerely,
David Culp