[Rhodes22-list] Quick question on hatch and pop top enclosure

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Aug 17 11:21:33 EDT 2010

Eileen,

Congratulations!  I'm confident that you'll be extremely happy with your
decision.

I've never spent a night in the cabin so my thoughts are based on
absolutely no experience, but that's never stopped me from giving my
opinion on anything else either.

If I had an enclosed marine head instead of a portapotty I would want a
hatch above it just for head (cranium) space while sitting.  No man
above three feet tall can pee into a toilet standing up without some
splashing outside the bowl so I don't consider it a reason for a hatch.
My wife doesn't allow it at home and certainly wouldn't allow it on a
boat with an unstable shooter and target.

I suffer from OCD and have an extreme appreciation for symmetry.  If you
have a hatch on the starboard side you need one on the port side or the
boat might tip over.  That's why I have two solar panels instead of one.

I don't have hatches and I step on the cabin top all the time but
wouldn't consider it a great inconvenience to step around the hatches.

I'm sure the hatches would provide ventilation but not sure how much
more it would help beyond fans, opening ports, anchor locker, and
especially the poptop.

I don't miss not having hatches but since it's not my money I recommend
that you go with two.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE