[Rhodes22-list] question on hatch and misc

Eileen and Steve eileen.e.spoon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 13:15:04 EDT 2010

Thanks Mary Lou, what we do know is there is no gate, we will be keeping to
boat in a slip and we have no small children.   We will be boarding just aft
of the cabin.  I don't recall how high they are, so perhaps another trip to
Edenton is in order.  One thing we had not considered is to leave them on
toward the bow and perhaps remove the rest.

As for "I Lean", Steve had thought of "Leening", but I feel like it would be
an omen that I would be heeled over all of the time!!

Eileeneileen.e.spoon at ...

Hi Eileen,
Give those lifelines a long and hard look. Think about things like:
How high are they? How well are they installed (a poor installation,
makes lifelines more dangerous than no lifelines)? Do they have a
gate or gates? How do you generally board the boat? Will you be
trailering or keeping it in a slip? Where will you be sailing? Will
you be sailing with small children? Do they add or detract from the looks?

I agree with Rick that lifelines on a small boat give a false sense
of security and may even be a hazard but I'm not sure I have any real
data to back up that feeling. If you are pretty sure that you don't
want them, it makes sense to have them removed and all the holes
filled now unless one of you really likes glasswork.