[Rhodes22-list] Demasting (Final)

bdunn1 at aol.com bdunn1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 08:55:31 EDT 2010

This is the photo that Rummie had asked for.  Actually, it is very similar to Papermail picture.  That was the first Rhodes photo I was and it instantly I knew I had made a big mistake in rigging.  I didn't know that the bridle was the connection point for the jib.  That picture was worth the proverbial thousand words.  Elton rigged the boat about 10 years ago and I didn't pay enough attention.  I know he did it the correct way.  When I rigged it the following year I saw the most "obvious" connection point; the fitting connected to the deck.  Rick was correct in stating that he thought the front forestays took up most of the support of the mast and the pressure to one side and backwards caused it to snap.  All the other stays remained connected.  Actually, this is a testament to the strength of the Rhodes.  With the advice of Alan Robertson I will have the boat repaired at Lake George.  Thanks to all for comments/advice.
regards,
(with embarrassment)
Bill Dunn