[Rhodes22-list] Securing Boat To Trailer Question

Bill W. wewickman at spectraenergy.com
Mon Aug 30 10:14:46 EDT 2010

I too was bothered by the constant movement of the mast when trailering.  I
just couldn't quit looking in the rearview mirror!  I have the GB mast
crutch on the stern, so what I did as a last minute fix before one of my
trips was to take a 4x4 fence post and cut it just long enough to provide
support under the mast.  At the bottom I had to cut it down to fit inside
the stainless mast step and drilled a hole in it to secure it with the mast
bolt.  On the top I cut a notch for the mast/boom to rest in and drilled
another hole through which I ran a rope to tie the mast assemble to the
support.  I also ran a line from the top of the supprt to the bow cleat to
keep it from falling backward (since the mast actually angles upward).  I
keep meaning to make another one that looks a little better or made out of
lighter weight PVC, but never have gotten around to it.

One possible side effect of this system is that the vibration and up/down
forces on the secured support may eventually strip out the screws that hold
the mast step to the cabin top.  I don't know if this is the case, but I
have had to fill two of the holes and re-drill the screw holes.  Again, it
may be that these screw holes become worn over time with regular use of the
boat.  They are designed to just hold the step in place and pull out easily
in the event of dismasting so that the cabin top is not damaged.

Probably clear as mud.

Bill W.
s/v Fina Lee