[Rhodes22-list] Cautionary Tale (addendum) and another story

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 18:34:39 EDT 2010

VERY FOOLISH

 You are a lucky man to have your fingers intact. While I have had the sense
not to argue with a running engine (8 horses out weigh one middle aged fat
man) I have had my fair share of wrestling with stuck anchors at my lake.
Lost 3 more this year (thats 6 in 2 yrs ) due to them being wrapped around
logs tree stumps and fish Christmas trees. Being stubborn as hell one time I
used one of the winches and a screwdriver for leverage and hauled half a
waterlogged tree up to the surface in an attempt to free the anchor. I can
only imagine what would have happened if I had got a hand wrapped around the
line and then lost the purchase on the winch getting pulled to the bottom
like Capt Ahab. Most embarrassing way to die for a former water safety
instructor. This also recalls a sign I have seen posted on most
church/synagogue organs by the organist. "DIESEN MACHINEN IST NICHT FOR
FINGERPOKEN UNT RUBBERNECKEN!! SETSEN SIE STILL UND WACHEN DER BILNKEN
LIGHTS.

Best as always
John S