[Rhodes22-list] Genoa size - 130 or 150

Robert Baldi rob.o.baldi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 22:03:26 EST 2010

Hello
My name is Robert Baldi - I have owned my Rhodes for more than 10 years. Jay
Friedland and I sail off of Long Beach Island N.J. We each have our own
boats. I used to be on the list using my email address name of Moses2u, and
I know some of you from my days when I was regularly on the list - years
ago.

Here is my question: I plan to buy a new set of sails. I currently have what
I think is a 150 genoa. I am not a timid sailor, but I am looking for
performance and therefore I am considering buying a smaller Genoa. I do
a great deal of solo sailing. Most often the wind is more than10-12 knots
and frequently 14+. I  regularly reef my genoa to some extent- probably more
than half the time I go out solo.

My first premise ( I am looking for guidance on this) is that a sail is at
maximum performance full out and not reefed. Therefore I will obtain maximum
performance most of the time with a smaller Genoa.

I will miss the larger Genoa some of the time, --- but will the better
performance for most of the time (more than 50%) compensate my feeling of
disappointment on those days when I could have used a larger sail -  On
those days (wind from 7 to 10 knots) when I would have sailed the 150 at
100%.

My furling system is the old General Boats basic design where the sail is
screwed to the tube. I do not intend to buy a new system and two sets of
sails - but if there are people who regularly change their sail -I will
listen to their advice as well. It is my belief that most of us like the
simplicity of one set of sails and the ease of jumping on our boat and
heading out for a sail without hanking on the sails.

I have an innermast main - I assume I want the main sail with a Batten.

Please - talk to me - do you like your sail size? What should I buy? -
Should I try a 130 genoa? By the way - I do not regularly race but like all
of us -when another boat sails close I don't want to be behind - so speed is
an issue. - I wonder if the efficiency of a smaller unreefed sail will
improve speed.

rob

rob
--