[Rhodes22-list] boats down

Frank Tugwell ftugwell at cox.net
Wed Feb 10 09:05:29 EST 2010

At the Washington Sailing Marina six boats have gone down, all with
cable-actuated swing keels.  Apparently these have a keel/centerboard
housing that is just above the waterline and the weight of the snow pushed
the boats down far enough so that water came in and sank the boats  The
large cockpit area also made the boats vulnerable, since it collected the
heavy snow.  I assume the Rhodes22 setup is strong enough to withstand the
extra pressure that heavy snow loads causes, but I would imagine it is
something to keep an eye on.  We are completely snowed in here in the DC
area.  Plenty of time to catch up on email.

Frank Tugwell