[Rhodes22-list] boats down

Jeff Kantor canusmajor54 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 13:25:37 EST 2010

Art.
It started with a small leak in the cockpit drain line.  Someone in La Rousette's past had fitted these lines as flimsy "vacuum cleaner" type hoses.  Once the lazarette became nice and full, another hose popped off its fitting.  There was no clamp on it, or a loose one.  The boat saw back to back storms and high winds on mooring.  The day after the storm I found her listed over, leviathan's hull popping out of the water.  Very lucky for me it was in mostly fresh water and the boat had almost no working electrics anyway.  After some repairs, cleaning, re-rigging, and pop top replacing (Thank You Stan!) I was sailing again last summer.  Now she's on her trailer with a skeleton frame and tarps up for winter interior work.  I might reconfigure some of the seating.. now that the opportunity has presented itself (all cushions gone except the V-berth pair).
The moral - SERIOUS CAREFUL MAINTENANCE

 Keep Asking Questions,,
Jeff Kantor
c. 917.825.5380