[Rhodes22-list] Doyle UPS Price Has Increased

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sat Feb 27 09:07:39 EST 2010

Thanks Mary Lou:

Paul Beaudin is the Doyle Rep. I worked with and he said that he thought
that a
130-135% combined with the UPS was just about perfect for what I need to do.

Other then a spinnaker, it is about the only way that I can add sail area
with the
GBI furler that I have.  It is 12 years old and I have overhauled it, but it
is still in
good shape.  So this year's budget is going to new sails and I will start
saving up
for a furler at some point.  I got a new IMF main last year, so I will have
all new
sails this spring.

I got the idea for this new sail plan and got some help from my friend
David Luckenbach who just passed away in testing it out:  We picked a
day when we had about 12-15 kts of wind and we hoisted up a jib that he
had laying around that had a cable built into the luff.   We secured the
tack
in about the same area that the UPS will be.   It was for some
smaller boat and it was about a 90% jib on the Rhodes.  It was amazing
how fast we could get going with that little jib tied up behind the furled
head
sail in some pretty good wind.  Now this was close reaching and we were
hitting
over 5 on my knot meter.  As you say, I won't be able to do this with the
UPS that
close to the wind, but sort of the same theory.  It was nice to just be able
to douse
it to the deck when done with it and then use the foresail.  Much easier
with two
aboard, but I'll figure it out.  I usually start the day on a long run and
then finish
up beating back home.  Plenty of time to reconfigure for pointing close to
the wind
on the way home.

I remember seeing pictures of your boat and sail but don't remember the
specifics.
Do you have the halyard retainer installed and if so, how far down from the
top
of the mast did you put it?  I have a steaming light that I really don't
want to have
to move, so I hope there is enough room for the retainer if it is needed.

Thanks
David