[Rhodes22-list] Single or double axle?

Caesar Paul caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 13:33:05 EST 2010

Frank,

Their are pros and cons with the single axle, and the double axle trailer.  And the end of the day you must decide which set of cons you are prepared to live with.  I have a double axle and am very happy with it.  With my double axle, four or five of us can climb aboard and move around freely,  when it is parked or detached from the tow vehicle, without having to remember to prop the front and or back of the trailer to preventing it from cartwheeling or jack-knifing.

Another advantage of the double axle is that you have a greater range with which to place the boat on the trailer for trailering without fish- tailing on the highway.  With the single axle, you pretty much have to find the "sweet spot" every time you retrieve the boat, and the angle of entry of ramps vary, requiring more effort on your part.  I suspect that effort would be greater than reversing down a ramp with a double axle trailer.

I lost a tire on the highway doing 65 mph with my double axle and did not notice until I saw the shredded rubber in the side mirror.  With a single axle you would notice immediately, and unpleasantly.

Your situation may not require much towing, or towing short distances on flat roads.

I like the stability, added security and sure footed-ness that four tires give me when I'm moving, and when I'm standing.

Let us know what you decide.

Caesar