[Rhodes22-list] Batteries and solar panels

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jan 8 09:34:09 EST 2010

Rod,
The only experience I have had with the AGM battery is in our Sea Doo. It
appears to hold more charge than a lead/acid battery and is maintenance
free. I  move my battery charger (trickle charger) between the Chaparral and the
Sea Doo  during the winter to keep them topped off. They are both on floats
at the dock  and are rarely removed from the lake.

Rummy

In a message dated 1/8/2010 9:28:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ellner at pressenter.com writes:

Thanks  everyone for the information.  Checking again I see the Optima is
an  AGM type battery.

Michael D. Weisner wrote:
> There is no special  charger needed for AGM batteries.  If you can afford
them, AGMs are the  way to go.  See the following site:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#AGM,%20or%20Absorbed%20Glass%20Mat%20Batteries

>  or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4yhh3
>
> A portion of  which is reproduced below:
>   Gelled  electrolyte
>   Gelled batteries, or "Gel Cells" contain acid  that has been "gelled"
by the addition of Silica Gel, turning the acid into a  solid mass that looks
like gooey Jell-O. The advantage of these batteries is  that it is
impossible to spill acid even if they are broken. However, there  are several
disadvantages. One is that they must be charged at a slower rate  (C/20) to
prevent excess gas from damaging the cells. They cannot be fast  charged on a
conventional automotive charger or they may be permanently  damaged. This is not
usually a problem with solar electric systems, but if an  auxiliary
generator or inverter bulk charger is used, current must be limited  to the
manufacturers specifications. Most better inverters commonly used in  solar
electric systems can be set to limit charging current to the  batteries.

>   Some other disadvantages of gel cells  is that they must be charged at
a lower voltage (2/10th's less) than flooded  or AGM batteries. If
overcharged, voids can develop in the gel which will  never heal, causing a loss in
battery capacity. In hot climates, water loss  can be enough over 2-4 years
to cause premature battery death. It is for this  and other reasons that we
no longer sell any of the gelled cells except for  replacement use. The newer
AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries have all the  advantages (and then some)
of gelled, with none of the  disadvantages.

>   AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat  Batteries
>   A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed  Glass Mats", or AGM
between the plates. This is a very fine fiber  Boron-Silicate glass mat. These
type of batteries have all the advantages of  gelled, but can take much more
abuse. We sell the Concorde (and Lifeline, made  by Concorde) AGM batteries.
These are also called "starved electrolyte", as  the mat is about 95%
saturated rather than fully soaked. That also means that  they will not leak acid
even if broken.

>   AGM  batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at
about the  same cost as gelled:
>   Since all the electrolyte (acid) is  contained in the glass mats, they
cannot spill, even if broken. This also  means that since they are
non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In  addition, since there is no liquid
to freeze and expand, they are practically  immune from freezing damage.

>   Nearly all AGM  batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that
the Oxygen and Hydrogen  recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase
transfer of oxygen to the  negative plates to recombine them back into water
while charging and prevent  the loss of water through electrolysis. The
recombining is typically 99+%  efficient, so almost no water is lost.

>   The  charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no
need for any  special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or
charge controls.  And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there
is almost no  heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge
currents. The  Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge
current  limits.

>   AGM's have a very low self-discharge -  from 1% to 3% per month is
usual. This means that they can sit in storage for  much longer periods without
charging than standard batteries. The Concorde  batteries can be almost
fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of  being totally discharged.

> Mike
> s/v Shanghai'd  Summer ('81)
> Nissequogue River, NY
>
> From:  <ejor2 at aol.com> Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:25 PM
>
>> If you are going to spend that much on a battery you may want to  also
look at the AGM type vs the gel. My understanding is the cost is similar.
Most of what I read online seemed to be that the AGM types were better than
gels. No personal experiance, just what I've read. Also, pay attention to the
 weight when comparing different brands with the same amp ratings, the
heavier  the better, might be stating the obvious but...