[Rhodes22-list] Electronic readers

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 8 10:24:45 EST 2010

Mary Lou, Chris,

Looking into the reader options a little more, the Nook has color on the lower display screen, not the upper section.  They are available to demo at the stores but not available for delivery until March.

The Blio apparently is a free software package which can be integrated into Windows (W7 only, it appears).  The platform can be any computer with W7 now, and Apple later.  The HP tx2z (Slate) tablet is one of the potential ~$800 options, which looks attractive.  They are throwing in a few free options and project earliest shipment on 1/22.  The weight (4.65#) might be a drawback versus Kindle @ 10.2 oz, but still beats transporting a library around.

Until Blio is available, if someone uses a tablet 'Kindle for PC' (free download)will function just as well as on a home laptop according to Kindle support.  Apparently this would also be true in the case of the free B&N PC reader software.  I presume that would enable the color display or b&w, depending only on the content which is loaded.

I am so tempted to try the HP, with 21 day return option, based on the very wide range of applications which can be used.  With the Slate capability it would enable reading, tablet drawing, composition with OCR software, wireless (not 3G), and full PC software capability via touch and keyboard.  Not a shabby package for about eight little ones.  It uses the AMD processor - anyone ever had problems?

Anyone have thoughts on this?  The HP may be a good option in your case, Chris.

Art