[Rhodes22-list] Towing & tow vehicles

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Fri Jan 22 12:02:32 EST 2010

Sam,
Your Rhodes and trailer should weigh around 3500 lbs.with equipment. Weight distribution on rear axle of towing vehicle important; if too light, wheels can slip on wet launching ramp. Best to get a vehicle that weighs at least
750 to 1,000 lbs. more than your trailer and boat. This, with at around 400 lbs. on the hitch will prevent ordinary swaying and keep "tail from wagging the dog" if it starts to sway back and forth downhill anytime. Be sure any new or used vehicle you get has a trailer towing package.
We always used a big GM Station wagon with a 5.3 engine or now, a Chev. Suburban to accommodate all the boat gear including the tiller. When towing with the latter, it doesn't feel as if we were towing anything!
Stan has cautioned us that 55 should be the top speed!

Bigal  Delmar NY