[Rhodes22-list] Jib Furler

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jul 6 22:51:48 EDT 2010

Pictures may be needed. I've never seen a GB furler with an enclosed
drum. Are you sure that you don't have some other brand of furler? If
your furler is more like a CDI, the CDI manual may be of
help:  http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF1%20manual%207_06.pdf

Is your furling line detached? If so, I would wind the sail manually
as tightly as I could by spinning the furling unit and then re-attach
the furling line, threading it around with several extra wraps. Make
sure that the wraps are in the right direction so that when you pull
the sail out, you get more wraps not fewer. When you furl the sail,
the furler line should be almost all of the way out but there should
still be a wrap or two on the drum. If you can't get to the place you
attach the line because of the drum enclosure, you may have to detach
the forestay and take the drum apart. If your Rhodes is standard with
the fore and aft lower stays you can easily detach the forestay if
you have to go that route.

I hope that if someone else has a GB furler that fits your
description, they will chime in here with facts as opposed to my
speculation about the situation.

Best of luck,
Mary Lou