[Rhodes22-list] Tired of IMF

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Wed Jul 7 13:19:19 EDT 2010

Charlie, Every year, including this year, I ponder the same action you
are considering, replace the IMF. My IMF system jams frequently when I
try to reduce or furl in the sail. I inspect the nylon (or plastic?)
disc at the top and bottom of the foil. I have tried different
lubricants at both the top and bottom of the mast. The foil is
straight, there are no dents or bands in the mast. The sail groove in
the mast is smooth on all edges. I realize there can be little
resistance on the sheets and the boom must hold the sail in alignment
with the mast groove.  When the main will NOT retract it flaps around
until the boom is released from the traveler and the topping lift pulls
the boom up parallel with the mast. I would like to look into an boom
furling system. This will require a halyard for the head of the main
sail. This might also allow better mail sail shape.  The current loose
footed main sail with IMF compromises optimum sail shape. I'm all ears
for comments on IMF vs inner-boom furling. Jim J