[Rhodes22-list] IMF Furling Problem

Philip Gauthier gauthi06 at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 8 20:47:01 EDT 2010

Hello everyone. First off, Raven is still doing well up in Canada after her first season. I read the submission about an IMF furling problem. Something you "may" want to look at is the fiber insert inside the mast just above the spreaders. Remove it and see if that affects your furling at all. We had a gooseneck break after a jibe and were forced to furl the main without tension on the outhaul. After replacing the gooseneck we found the main jammed on this fiber block and had had to climb the mast and feed the main over the block untill the sail unfurled above it. Since then I have redesigned it so it has a gentler smooth profile rather than a block and it seems to furl just as good as it ever did but without the potential catch point as it had before. Remove the block, see if the problem goes away. It is only held in place with 1 screw so it's possible that it came loose and is sitting on an angle and not parallel with the mast.The upper and lower disc
 that spin with the sail would not cause your sail to furl "baggy". It would just feel hard and restricted.

Phil