[Rhodes22-list] Installation of Schaefer furler: 150 Genoa and an alternative to the halyard restrainer

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Mon Jul 12 22:34:19 EDT 2010

Hi all,

 My winter project which dragged into half the summer was to install a new
furler to replace the original and a new genoa as well. The boat was in the
water before all the parts for the project arrived so I had to work dockside
which was a whole lot of fun (NOT) making small talk with rubber necking
powerboaters while trying to concentrate on the task at hand. The Schaefer
500 snap furler is capable of being installed without dropping the mast but
you have to think it through carefully cause you can't miss any steps or you
will have to drop the mast to correct any errors. Mary Lou was right about
the use of a halyard restrainer, without one you will get immediate halyard
wrap. Normally you would have to drop the mast to attach this device (a
small metal bracket) but after soaking the problem in enough rum I came up
with a alternative which will get me through the year. I took the take up
line from the old furler, tied a loop on one end. tossed it over the
spreaders worked it under the main halyard (there is enough clearance) and
used it as a choker similar to a choke collar for a dog. When you raise the
genoa the halyard takes the collar to the top of mast. Tighten the collar
and tie it off on a mast cleat and you're ready to go sailing.
The furler is smooth as silk and the 150 genoa is a wonderful sail. My boat
has doubled its speed and I am covering distances which would have not been
possible before. Mike Cheung if you read this and come back up to Kinzua
this year it's game on!!! A pict of the choker
http://old.nabble.com/file/p29146103/DSC_0138_2.jpeg

Happy sailing all
John S