[Rhodes22-list] Installation of Schaefer furler: 150 Genoa and an alternative to the halyard restrainer

Mike Cheung hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:41:17 EDT 2010

John,

Game on then indeed!  Muireann will very likely return to Kinzua in
September for a weekend of fun!  I will prevail upon your sense of honor to
choose a fair course for a race since your local knowledge far exceeds mine.
And to make things interesting a bottle (or two) of hand crafted red wine is
our wager!  I do have hand crafted white as well if that is your preference,
though we really should talk if that is the case.

Regards,

Mike

John Shulick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  My winter project which dragged into half the summer was to install a new
> furler to replace the original and a new genoa as well. The boat was in
> the water before all the parts for the project arrived so I had to work
> dockside which was a whole lot of fun (NOT) making small talk with rubber
> necking powerboaters while trying to concentrate on the task at hand. The
> Schaefer 500 snap furler is capable of being installed without dropping
> the mast but you have to think it through carefully cause you can't miss
> any steps or you will have to drop the mast to correct any errors. Mary
> Lou was right about the use of a halyard restrainer, without one you will
> get immediate halyard wrap. Normally you would have to drop the mast to
> attach this device (a small metal bracket) but after soaking the problem
> in enough rum I came up with a alternative which will get me through the
> year. I took the take up line from the old furler, tied a loop on one end.
> tossed it over the spreaders worked it under the main halyard (there is
> enough clearance) and used it as a choker similar to a choke collar for a
> dog. When you raise the genoa the halyard takes the collar to the top of
> mast. Tighten the collar and tie it off on a mast cleat and you're ready
> to go sailing.
> The furler is smooth as silk and the 150 genoa is a wonderful sail. My
> boat has doubled its speed and I am covering distances which would have
> not been possible before. Mike Cheung if you read this and come back up to
> Kinzua this year it's game on!!! A pict of the choker
>  http://old.nabble.com/file/p29146103/DSC_0138_2.jpeg
>
> Happy sailing all
> John S

-----