[Rhodes22-list] What do you suggest as replacement

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jul 14 18:02:50 EDT 2010

Geoff, you must live somewhere on well water like we do.

Motor looks interesting. A step in the right direction as far as
weight is concerned. If I were looking at it seriously, I'd want a
longer shaft and a bigger prop. It says other props optional but 20"
is the longest shaft. Would also want the external fuel tank. Because
we keep the boat in a slip, I would want to know if it has a flush
port (most Yamahas do). It doesn't have electric start which would be
a deal breaker for us as I have difficulty getting a long and quick
enough pull to start most outboards. We also really like our motor
controls in the cockpit but we do a lot of motoring and a lot of
maneuvering in unfamiliar territory when we  take slips at other
marinas or navigate in busy channels when cruising. I believe there
are some folks on the list with 6 horse outboards who find them
perfectly adequate for their needs.

A lighter motor would be really nice both in terms of getting it on
and off the boat and in terms of the trim of the boat. Our Yamaha 8
high thrust weighs over 100 lbs. It's a pain in the butt if you have
to get it on or off the boat when the boat is in the water.
Fortunately, we've only had to do that once when we first got it. I'm
sure all that weight on the transom adversely affects the way the
boat handles though its not really noticeable. The tradeoff is that
we really like the electric start, the high thrust design, the longer
shaft and the cockpit controls.

Best,
Mary Lou