[Rhodes22-list] silencing internal mast cable slap

Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Mon Jul 19 01:50:07 EDT 2010

Hey Mike,
	The cable slap was driving me nuts last year.  My solution was to
measure the diameter of the nipple on a can of instafoam drill one size
larger hole into the bottom of an empty tomato can and "test" how much came
out in a second or two when I pressed the nipple into the hole. Once I
established the volume released for the time With the mast laid down I
drilled a series of holes on the front of the mast about 4-5 feet apart.
Stuck the foam can into the holes for the right amount of time (about 1.5
seconds) and easily and quickly solved the problem.  The advantage of this
method is that I also compartmentalized the mast so should I ever take a
really bad knockdown and put the mast under the water (only happened once so
far to me) I won't have the void where the wires are take up the extra
weight in water.  This last trip no wire slap.  (did have a little IMF tube
rattle, but haven't figured out how to fix that).  Hopes this helps.

Chris G
Enosis