[Rhodes22-list] Extra ballast

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jun 11 21:31:47 EDT 2010

That's a lot of lead. I've been told that Rhodes 22s sail better when
a bit bow down but that seem like a lot. Was there more on one side
than the other. Some R22s have a slight list to starboard. I'd try
sailing her with the lead and then take some of it out and see if it
improves the handling. If it's better, take more of it out. I'd do
the testing on a day when the winds were pretty steady testing the
boat on the same course. And to answer your question - no I've never
hear of anyone adding lead ballast. We do keep our water tank full
(except when we forget).

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless