[Rhodes22-list] Sorry to bring this subject up

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jun 13 20:53:25 EDT 2010

Sounds like you are a good candidate for an R22 with a porta-potty.
I'm assuming porta potties comply with the Alabama law.

There are porta-potties that can be plumbed for pump-out. I'm not
quite sure how that works but there was a description involving a
Dometic marine head on the Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board a while
back. That sort of arrangement is evidently required in Canada and in
some mooring fields in FL.

On Fretless, we have a semi-enclosed head with a porta-potty. The
head is behind the cabin bulkhead and there is a curtain on a swing
arm that screens off the area. We do not have the hinged door common
on newer R22s. We use the boat for cruising and daysailing and are
pleased with the arrangement. It's simple and if it ever breaks you
can easily replace it at a relatively low cost. Actually the water
pump bellows on our original one developed a break and we replaced it
with the same model so we now have two holding tanks - handy when
cruising. You would want one that latches down.

It sounds like the Alabama law is trying to encourage pumpout
facilities. If there are marinas in your area, some will have pumpout
facilities. If you had a regular MSD and holding tank, you would have
to find the one nearest your location.

Best,
Mary Lou