[Rhodes22-list] one month and two days(LEE)

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Jun 29 09:15:03 EDT 2010

Jerry,

I believe all of our poptops "leak."  My boat continually gets covered
in pine needles most of the year.  I brush them off the boat before
opening the poptop yet they always find their way into the cabin.  I
figure if four inch long needles can blow into the boat then so can
water.

This is somewhat related to water in the bilge.  While motoring into
heavy chop I've had spray enter the cabin and water wash over the deck
but nothing like what happened under sail on Sunday.  A combination of
wind, tide, current, and mostly powerboat wake created a freak wave that
submerged the bow and flowed right into the cabin.  It probably wasn't
much more than a couple of gallons but everything was soaked back to the
entrance.  The 100 degree temperatures and 10 knot wind may have helped
but the carpet was dry and there was no water in the bilge when I
checked it about two hours later.

I still think a bilge pump is good insurance, kind of like an insurance
plan on a Sears' washer and dryer.  You'll never need it but you'll also
never worry about it.

Lee